November 26, 2007

K is for Kidnapped

Not that I (or anyone else I know) has ever been kidnapped, thank goodness. Rather, this is for the book "Kidnapped" by Robert Louis Stevenson. I have a clear memory of this book on my grandmother's bookshelf. We had pretty much free rein over her books - she never told us a book was "too old" or off limits. But I still never picked this one up, because I found the title to be too scary. I grew up in a small town, where no one was kidnapping small children, yet it was a fear of mine. This fear wasn't helped by a comic book distributed by the local police department which told the story of two children who "took candy from a stranger" and ended up being kidnapped. That comic gave me nightmares for weeks, so there was no way I was picking up this book. I did get to read a lot of lovely old books, though: Rebecca, by Daphne DuMaurier comes immediately to mind. I read almost every other books she had, but not that one.

No comments: