May 13, 2008

Weekly Geeks #3

The theme for this week is fond memories of childhood books. I have said before that I don't remember not being able to read. My childhood was full of books, both at home and from regular trips to the library. My favorites are so numerous that I am sure to omit something important: Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, Cherry Ames, The Boxcar Children, The Five Little Peppers, the Happy Hollisters, Hardy Boys. My sister and I would read these, then would re-enact key scenes, or invent new stories (I guess it was fan fiction!). We often had to invent new characters because there was only one girl character in the book, but we managed. We also loved to play library: we catalogued our books, made library cards, and "checked out" books to each other, with due dates. My dad was a librarian, so we had the old date stamps and sometimes the real catalog cards to work with. Books were our escape from our small town, and a window to the world. They were our entertainment, and also provided our common ground.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too ran a llocal libray of sorts. Issuing was such fun! Many of my books are still catalogued.

Childhood Memories