May 20, 2008

Hammered- Elizabeth Bear

I don't remember where I read about this series (there are two more books following this one, and one can only hope for more after that), but I'm very glad I picked it up. The first book is really a set-up for what will come next, but it was an enjoyable read. The character of Jenny Casey is one of the most interesting I've encountered lately, so I look forward to reading more of her adventures. This is set in the near future Earth, where things have gone pretty wrong. Canada is a superpower, racing with China to build the first starship. Jenny Casey is just a soldier, but one who has already been "enhanced" with implants. This makes her special, and entangles her in the Canadian government plans. There are a few side plots that all converge at the end, and a few other interesting characters. I'm planning to take the next two in the series along on my trip. (They are mass market paperbacks, so fit my traveling criteria!)

No comments: