January 17, 2008

BTT: Let's Review

From Booking Through Thursday:

How much do reviews (good and bad) affect your choice of reading? If you see a bad review of a book you wanted to read, do you still read it? If you see a good review of a book you’re sure you won’t like, do you change your mind and give the book a try?

I do like to read reviews, and sometimes I am influenced by them. If I read a good review, it does inspire me to put the book on my list of books to read (at least) or to pick up a copy at the first opportunity. I found "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card through a review in the campus newspaper. I probably would not have even given it a second glance otherwise. And I do sometimes decide not to read a book based on a review, although I do look carefully to see what it was the reviewer didn't like and decide if that is something that is important to me or not. I use that for movie reviews as well.

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

Very good point about reading the review to see what it was a person did not like and deciding if it is something that might influence you as well. I do that too. :-)