August 3, 2007

The Pesthouse - Jim Crace

I read about The Pesthouse at a hidden side of a leaf, and added it to my post-bar TBR list. I am a fan of dystopian fiction, and I was not disappointed by this one. I haven't read anything by Crace before, but I will add his other books to my pile to be read very soon.

This reminded me a lot of "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, but I enjoyed this book much more. It was more hopeful and uplifting (while still being depressing enough to qualify as dystopian). The world was more recognizable as having once been our own, although we don't know what brought the pesthouse world to its present state. The characters were interesting, and human and flawed, and I worried about what would happen to them.

This is the story of a journey, and it ends the way many real-life journeys end.

1 comment:

Dewey said...

I enjoyed it more than The Road, too. In fact, I wonder if I would have enjoyed The Road more if I had read it first. Glad you liked it!