August 12, 2008

The Unthinkable - Amanda Ripley

The subtitle is "Who Survives when Disaster Strikes and Why." I loved this - devoured it over the weekend, in fact. My minor was sociology, and my major was psychology, so I am always fascinated to figure out why people do the things they do. This researcher interviewed hundreds of disaster survivors, trying to figure out why we react the way we do in emergencies, and why some people survive when others just freeze. The style is not at all dry and academic, and she makes the people she interviewed very vivid. I am one of those who reads the emergency information card on the plane, and I often think what I might do in a particular situation. As a bailiff, we get some training in emergency response in the courtroom, but you still don't know what you would do if something really happened. Highly recommended.

3 comments:

Brian D. said...

1. I've heard of this book. Sounded like an interested read. I guess I'll have to read it now.

2. You're a psych major and a sociology minor. Me too! No wonder you tend to have my thoughts. I thought it was the secret brain implant.

janiejane said...

The secret brain implant is supposed to be secret! :)

raych said...

This looks like all kinds of interesting. I'll add it to the pile!